Friday Figment: ANTSY ABANDON

The ant asked the caterpillar, "What are you doing?"

"Building my chrysalis," the caterpillar answered.

After a grunt the ant said, "Butterflies don't eat leaves, and I love leaves, especially rose ones, and man, I'd never give that up for anything."

The caterpillar had been working for hours and talk of leaves, rose leaves especially, made her stomach growl even as she defended the butterflies, explaining how they get to soar across the world on their beautiful wings.

"I hope mine are blue," she said.

"But the slow way you walk is so cute," the ant said, "I like you the way you are," and after an hour or two of that talk, the caterpillar left her chrysalis and feasted on rose leaves with the ant.

A week passed, and the caterpillar whispered, "I think I'm sick."

"Don't worry," the ant said, "I won't leave you," and the caterpillar was comforted as she fell into her final sleep.

The ant dragged petals from a nearby forget-me-not and decorated the body, saying, "Now you are a blue butterfly," and cried at the caterpillar's side for five hours straight.

But just before the sixth hour, a new, quick-stepping ant walked by, told the ant where a fresh bush of rose leaves were sprouting, and coaxed the ant to leave the caterpillar behind, and the ant was so relieved to find that the rose leaves tasted as fragrant before. 

Photo: By Emmanuel Huybrechts from Laval, Canada [CC-BY-2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

Comments

Popular Posts