Friday Figment: LONGING LIGHTS


Deep into night when the wolves stop howling and the lambs can sleep, I like to wish on the stars that are farthest away.

Pinpricks as faded as last year's dreams.

Someday I will hold a star like that in my hands.

I will marvel at the way it illuminates my family around me.

My husband will glow as transparent as a dragonfly wing.

My three year old will shimmer like sunlight on a lake.

Maybe I will see the tea light flame of the heart fluttering in my womb.

And in that glimpse, before the star floats away like a seed on the wind, I won't have any worry.

Peace as firm and soft as fleece.

Because the depth of each night holds the warm lights of a trillion days we are just too far away to feel.


Photo: Jean-Fran├žois Millet [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

Comments

Popular Posts